Tuesday, September 6, 2011

What does it look like to have idols?

 I read these questions a few weeks ago on my friend Natalie's blog. We've been talking about idols now and then, so I thought you might like these questions. 


"If you want deep intimacy with God, He will eventually uproot your idols. He will mess with you. But it's all for your greater good. He's after your joy even more than you or I want. And I know it doesn't fell good, and at times it feels like your in wrestling match, or have been abandoned, but trust me on this, He loves you, and He knows what's best for you.

"David Powilson, offers these questions to uncover what may be an idol in your heart, which I thought were great...

What am I most afraid of?
What do I long for passionately?
What do I run to for comfort?
What do I complain about the most?
What angers me the most?
What makes me the happiest?
How do I explain myself to others?
What has caused me to be angry with God?
What do I brag about?
What do I want to control?
What comfort do I treasure the most?
Whose approval to I seek?
If I could change one thing in my life, what would it be?
Who do I sacrifice the most for in my life?
What do I want to have more than anything else?"

What do you think? Is there anything that comes to your mind that God might be telling you is time to let go?

No comments:

Post a Comment